My baby has rashes on its body and face. What can I do?
All of us parents are very aware of the importance of taking care of our little one’s skin; we gently cleanse, moisturise and protect it. But sometimes, skin on their face needs specific care, as it’s the most exposed skin to cold, warm weather or other factors that may cause rashes or irritation.
6 factors that can affect our babies' faces
1. Cradle cap. A skin condition that many babies go through in the first few weeks of life and slowly disappears. We identify it as flakes and redness, mainly in the hair area, although it can also appear in areas of the face, such as the forehead or behind the ears.
To care for it, it’s important to use a mild shampoo and apply a natural face moisturiser to prevent discomfort or itchiness in the areas where the skin folds.
2. The cold weather and the winds: As we said, children's faces are exposed to external factors, such as cold and wind, which can affect their delicate skin.
To avoid this, it is important to moisturise our babies’ faces before and after going outside during the cold months. Oh! And of course, a little hat will help with that as well, plus they look extra cute.
3. Heat rash or prickly heat. Common among babies, and caused by the blockage of the pores of the sweat glands and can be associated with heat. It appears on babies' skin in the form of pimples or blisters.
The ideal way to moisturise the skin is to choose fluid creams that are not very dense or sticky to provide calmness.
4. Drool rash. It occurs when your baby’s skin is wet with saliva for long periods of time. This is very common when our little ones are teething or have their hands on their mouth. The drooling rashes can appear on the neck, lips or even on their chest.
To be able to provide comfort to your baby’s skin, it is essential to moisturise and cleanse the skin gently. It is important that the products are 100% natural and have soothing and regenerating properties.
5. Atopic skin. Atopic skin is one of the most common skin problems in children. It affects more than 20% of children and between 1 and 8% of adults. The face is one of the areas of the body where atopic skin is most common in children. The symptoms vary depending on the child and the time of year. But generally are itching, redness, dryness and irritability.
That's why it's so important to take care of it every day with a 100% natural face cream without synthetic perfumes and specially formulated for atopic skin.
6. Baby acne. It can appear during the first weeks of our baby’s life, in the form of red or white spots and dimples on the skin. The acne can become more pronounced if the baby is fussy or crying, but do not worry there are things that we can do to soothe the skin.
Wash your baby’s face and body daily with warm water, during bath time, wash with only water or a mild soap or soap-free cleanser.
How to care for my baby skin
When it comes to our babies, we just want the best of the best for their comfort and calmness, and we know that skin can be very sensitive.
We always recommend using a baby’s face cream that’s specially formulated for them. Why? Because we know that it will respect their sensitive delicate skin.
Checking the INCI is highly important as we should know the ingredients or actives that we’re applying to our baby’s skin to identify any reaction or allergy and also to really know if the cosmetics we’re going for are healthy for our little ones, not only externally but internally as well.
Here’s our baby face cream: Calming Sunflower Face Cream
Picture of Lola before and after using the Calming Sunflower Face Cream for 5 days. @albarv88
Its formulated with the most natural ingredients such as
• Natural ectoin. Recovers and protects the skin soothes redness, inflammation and maintains hydration by combating the effects of environmental pollution.
• Sesame oil. It is ideal for caring for sensitive skin due to its photoprotective, moisturising and anti-bacterial properties.
• Almond oil. Improves skin hydration, has anti-inflammatory and restorative properties and leaves the baby's skin soft and protected.
• Organic sunflower oil. Promotes skin barrier function and reduces the presence of inflammatory mediators.
Its formula is 100% natural and contains 64% organic ingredients and is suitable for atopic and sensitive skin.
It prevents and treats redness, irritation and inflammation caused by different skin problems and helps to regenerate the skin of the little ones. It promotes the barrier function of the baby's skin and protects the baby's face from external agents such as cold and wind.
Share your impressions, routines and experiences with natural cosmetics here or on Instagram. We love to read your comments! If any more doubts arise, we’re here! Come visit us again.
We at Freshly Cosmetics create natural cosmetics (all of our formulas contain over 99% natural, sustainable and vegan ingredients) based on scientific knowledge and studies. We aim to make people aware of the effect cosmetics have on their skin. We are scientists with a strong desire to change things and help people take better care of themselves, consciously.
Would you like to join this adventure? Subscribe to our newsletter to receive news and articles like this one and become a cosmetics expert... and more!
Tell us what you think!