Your allies for acne-prone skin
You may have heard that the sun can help with the reduction of spots, blemishes and acne. But this myth needs debunking! They may temporarily diminish during the summer months or sunny holidays, this often leads people to ignore their skincare routine, and when away from the sun these blemishes are bound to reappear.
But that's not all, summer and high temperatures increase sebum production, we tend to sweat more, causing more dirt to accumulate on our skin.This is why, especially during the summer, you have to pay special attention to the products you apply on your skin and be consistent with your beauty routine.
Everything you need to know to treat acne
The main cause for the appearance of acne is the obstruction of pores. This obstruction can be caused by excessive production of sebum, which may be caused by hormonal changes associated with puberty, pregnancy, menstruation, stress, or excessive sweating. Thus, if there is an excess of sebum and too many dead skin cells, pores become clogged and acne appears.
For this reason, the first thing to do is to avoid touching your face. It's tempting to touch your spots and squeeze blackheads, but please trust us, this can do more harm than good. This not only has the potential to damage skin but it can promote skin to generate more sebum and cause more acne.
Choose non-comedogenic, astringent and antibacterial products that won’t block your pores and let your skin breathe naturally.
Our acne’s best friend and strongest allay is a good skincare routine. If you have severe or very severe acne, we’d always recommend speaking to a dermatologist.
Read on to see our recommended Freshly routine that will moisturise and soften your skin, and allow you to say goodbye to blemishes, open pores and oily skin, take note of these simple and effective tips.
Acne-Prone Skin Beauty Routine
1. Cleanse your face twice a day, in the morning and at night, this will remove any makeup and impurities that can gather on the skin’s surface, and prevent clogged pores. We’d also recommend cleansing your skin after doing sport or after excessive sweating. Tip! Try to cleanse your face as gently as you can. Rubbing your face vigorously will not make acne disappear faster but quite the opposite, it risks further irritating your skin.
2. Next we’d recommend applying a facial toner close pores and regulate the skin’s pH.
3. Natural exfoliation at least once a week, preferably an enzymatic exfoliation as opposed to a physical exfoliation, such as scrubs. Why? This will promote skin renewal and prevent clogged pores, while being gentle on skin.
4. Hydration, hydration, hydration! Even the oiliest of skin still needs hydration! For oilier skin types, we’d recommend a moisturising gel, our Pacific Ocean Hydrating Gel has a light texture which allows it to hydrate skin without leaving a greasy feel that may be left by other moisturing creams. Next, depending on the specific needs of your skin, we’d recommend using an antioxidant serum to keep it hydrated and nourished.
5. Finally, and perhaps one of the most important steps…sunscreen! This is super important for all skin and in particular for acne-prone skin. It’s essential to protect your skin from the sun all year round – especially during summer – but finding a sunscreen that suits the needs of your skin is not always an easy task. To ensure that your sunscreen won’t clog your pores, we’d recommend a sunscreen that contains astringent products such as zinc oxide, which prevents excess oil and regulates sebaceous secretion.
Now, Rome wasn’t built in a day and the same applies with skincare, taking care of your skin is a journey, not a sprint and consistency is key!
If you have any doubts, we invite you to write your comment in this post and we will answer you right away! You can also read other people’s opinions with oily skin who have already used the products of our Freshly Cosmetics online natural cosmetics shop!
Leave a comment on this post or on our Blog, and share your Freshly experience. Your opinion is super important to us, plus you can also read other people’s reviews of each product at Freshly Cosmetics.
We at Freshly Cosmetics create natural cosmetics (all of our formulas contain over 99% natural, sustainable and vegan ingredients) based on scientific knowledge and studies. We aim to make people aware of the effect cosmetics have on their skin. We are scientists with a strong desire to change things and help people take better care of themselves, consciously.
Would you like to join this adventure? Subscribe to our newsletter to receive news and articles like this one and become a cosmetics expert... and more!
Tell us what you think!